This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you consent to our use of cookies unless you have disabled them.

Two people have been flown to Wellington Hospital in critical condition after inhaling hydrogen sulfide at a tanning factory in Wanganui.

Another 19 people were exposed to the gas, and taken for examination at Wanganui Hospital,  reports The New Zealand Herald

Hydrogen sulfide is a colourless, poisonous, flammable gas which has a strong smell, similar to rotten eggs and can affect lungs and breathing.

People in the area said the first they knew of the incident was a very strong smell of sulphur.

One local resident said the smell was "enough to make you dry retch'' while a shopowner nearby said: “I heard the sirens and came outside, and that's when I noticed the bad smell. It was very strong.''

The condition of the 19 other people taken to Wanganui Hospital is not yet known.

Image via Getty


Talkback


TNT Magazine: Australia

TNT Magazine: NZ

Stay connected on social networks
Like us on Facebook
Follow TNT on Twitter